The image intensifier and the flat-panel detector have the same purpose, which is to provide a viewable image, but they work in different ways.
The image intensifier system was developed using analog technology. The image intensifier works by converting X-rays into photons for viewing. To achieve this, X-rays are first converted into light photons as they enter the input phosphor. The photons are converted to electrons by a photocathode.
These electrons are amplified using focusing electrodes. The outer phosphor converts the amplified electrons back into photons for viewing, and a video camera captures the image to be sent to the monitor display.
Flat Panel Detector:
Flat panel detectors use digital technology to produce a clear image. It uses the same technology behind image sensors found in digital cameras. Flat panel detectors convert X-rays directly into digital data. Flat panel detectors produce images with less distortion.
- Image intensifiers provide high-quality images for several years, although image quality decreases over time.
- The convex input phosphor produces peripheral field of view distortion.
- Image intensifiers utilize collimation for magnification.
- The narrow beam produces a more detailed image.
- Field of vision reduced with each step.
Flat Panel Detectors:
- Show minimal image degradation.
- The flat panel design eliminates geometric distortion.
- Flat panel detectors are more sensitive.
- Patient receives a lower dose of radiation when taking an image.
- Offer higher and more consistent image quality.
- Achieves magnification without reducing scale.
Flat panel detectors are more expensive compared to image intensifiers. A refurbished flat panel detector system is harder to find, but refurbished image intensifier C-arms are more common and offer a wider range of price points.
If you have low to moderate patient volume or your C-arms needs are limited to general surgery applications, an image intensifier will work for you just fine.
Contact us at Pacific Healthcare Imaging. Our technicians will help you acquire the best systems for your facility. We have high-quality new, used, and refurbished Mini, Compact, and Full-Size C-Arm machines are available at wholesale cost. Check out our rental plans as well.
Our years of experience allows us to offer you the most comprehensive, affordable, used and refurbished C-Arm systems and diagnostic equipment and services available.
Pacific Healthcare Imaging sells and supports pre-owned, used and refurbished c-arms for medical facilities. We sell the highest quality used and refurbished medical imaging equipment and we specialize in C-Arms, Mini C-Arms, Portable Ultrasounds.