How to Perform a Basic C-Arm Diagnosis to Improve Image Quality
Do you have poor image quality on your C-Arm?
On older C-Arms, the image intensifier or the x-ray tube may need to be replaced or recalibrated, however sometimes a simple height adjustment of the C-arm can improve the image quality.
Make sure the body part is centered to the tube. If the anatomy is below or above the iso-center of the image intensifier, the differences in densities between the air and the body part can throw off the automatic exposure controls which produces a C-Arm problem with high contrast or a grainy images.
If the C-Arm is positioned near different tissue densities such as the thoracic spine and the lumbar spine, the automatic exposure controls will try to adjust to both densities at the same time, which can cause a grainy or a high contrast image.
Center the tube to the densest area first, wait for the automatic exposure to adjust then move to the body part being imaged.
Different densities can cause a blooming effect around the edge of the screen, especially if the patient has a metallic device such as a prosthetic hip.
The Simplest Form of C-Arm Diagnosis
Test for C-Arm problems using an x-ray phantom (If you don’t have a phantom, use radiopaque objects on the procedure table such as keys, coins, sheets, towels etc.). Position the C-Arm over the procedure table.
- Are the images dark, grainy or light?
- Are the edges sharp or blurry?
- Does the C-Arm render the objects with good tonal value?
- Is there a good range of blacks, whites, and grays?
If not, try to adjust the contrast or brightness using the controls. Or use the edge enhancement feature. If that doesn’t work Contact Pacific Healthcare Imaging for help for help with your C-Arm diagnosis
Extend the Lifetime of Your C-Arm:
- Get annual preventative maintenance.
- Always be sure to plug in the C-Arm when not in use. Your batteries will last longer if kept charged.
- Regular cleaning. Start with the keyboard, C-Arm covers, and in between. Clean the tube, image intensifier, and power cables. Check and clean fan filters.
- Use protective C-Arm drapes during your procedures.
- Protect monitors by adjusting the sleep mode setting. A shorter sleep mode time is better for units that have CRT monitors.
Pacific Healthcare Imaging offers a wide variety of medical imaging systems from brand names like GE, Sonosite, Hologic, Ziehm, Phillips, Siemens and more, at a discounted rate.